4.09.2008

he's dating someone...what?

this week i...

finally got my gross.slash.gigantic mole removed after 22 years!
almost quit my job 4 times.
did some theraputic shopping.
finally redeemed my iTunes gift card from Russell...thanks boss!
got my own email address at work!
went grocery shopping for the first time in months
made dinner for the first time in months.
finally did my laundry!
blogged a bit...go me!
only had take out once!
didn't clean my room.

so that was a fun week in review. my sister went to Hawaii without me and left me all alone with my dad. for some this would not be a problem, but when your dad is slipping to the dark side of dementia...it is a bit of a different story. reminding him to eat at regular times and answering his favorite question...'is idol on tonight?'. telling him the same thing about 10 times over the course of half an hour. it can get a little draining and if you know me...you will know that i am not the most patient person. i lose my cool a lot and with my dad it is even harder to keep my irritation and anger under wraps! i know the lord only gives us what we can handle, and i am learning that the lord is uber optimistic! i guess i can jot this all down as life experience. i am learning to give my dad a little slack...it must be really hard to have your 20 something year old daughters tell you repeatedly that you can't drive. or that it must really suck to spend your days wandering around a big house with nothing to do and nowhere to go. after living a semi independent life for 55 years and being reduced to asking for rides friday night to have a social life is a HUGE transition for anyone. all i can say is right now i am so grateful for my health and hope with all my heart that his dementia isn't genetic! life is fun!

i went shopping, so it will all get better in time.

6 comments:

becca said...

aly! how are you?? and um...i did not know this stuff...

jayni & ben said...

Hey love. I still miss you and think about you lots and lots. and want to see you more and more. Your poor sweet dad. Be nice the old man you bratty brat! haha Just kidding. I know you love him:) I love your blog and wish you would write something 700 times a day so I could read it. I love your writing and love to read it. I find it very fun..

Jobi Niu said...

ALY Freakin ASAY! Geez, could I love you more? How's your hair?? You kill me, I laugh so hard at your blog! Come over to my parent's house and visit yo!

Annie and Berkeley said...

Aly! I found your blog and I love it!! Hooray!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

This post was so colorful. I admire you so much for taking care of your dad. That must be so hard on you mentally and physically. Really, you're a hero. Listen to that song, "she's somebody's hero." That's you.

Aubrey Anne said...

This post made me cry. I've always admired you, Aly. More now than ever. xoxo